Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Testimony Tuesday: Jordan Onia of Sacramento, California

My name is Jordan Onia.  Everyone desires to burn with passion, change the world, and to be radical – I believe this is the heartbeat of our generation. Being radical is so appealing, but I believe that in our pursuit, this generation has forgotten this lifestyle’s heavy price. This life will require the sacrifice of your personal preferences, and everything that you think you deserve will be given up for the sake of knowing Him more. It will cost you the luxury of comfort, and the paths that seem wisest to the world will often be left behind in pursuit of that which is greater. This can mean going without, that another may be blessed. This lifestyle is uncomfortable because we elevate our rights.  While Christ was on earth, He set His rights aside for the sake of love and knowing The Father. Love requires the sacrifice of everything you were never made to own. Love costs your selfishness.  But my heart is to show you the beauty of these heavy costs. 

I graduated from Harvest School of Missions in Sarasota, Florida this past April. It was such a beautiful time, but little did I know, the experiences I had were only the first of many great adventures I would have while following the Lord. This was also my first encounter with a situation that if God had not shown up I would look like a fool. As the last day of Harvest School rolled around I had no money for gas to get back home. I called my parents, but they showed no interested in helping me.  After getting off the phone, the students that were still left decided to go out to eat as one of our last times together. I remember specifically locking my car doors before climbing into a friend’s car and heading to lunch. I had made no mentioned of the conversation between my parents and I, or even my need for money; but after returning from our fantastic lunch, I witnessed the impossible.  I walked past the passenger side of my car and glanced in to find an envelope that read, “Gas Money”. After opening the letter, I discovered the exact amount I needed to return home. I began considering all the ways the envelope could have been placed in my car, but while I mused, God spoke to me, “If your parents would’ve given you money, how would I have received the glory for getting you there and back?”

Everything is relational. God does not reduce any portion of the gospel to petty methods for making our lives better. I want to encourage each one of you that if you desire a life that burns, a life that is set on display, position yourself to live from a place that if God does not show up, everything will fall apart. He tells us in Matthew 6:6 to seek first His kingdom; and the Greek word here for kingdom is Basileia.  Basileia essentially translates to ‘a kingdom that will fall apart without being constantly connected to the King’. God is calling you to a lifestyle in which He is the glue. A lifestyle that is impossible without Him. Thank you for the honor of sharing, and even more for reading. I pray God empowers each of you to dream your greatest dreams, and I pray that the fulfillment of these dreams would only scratch the surface of all God has in store for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment