Monday, January 6, 2014

Lifestyle Of Peace

When our peace becomes dependent on circumstances, we position ourselves to feel every weight and consequence that life decides to throw on us.  But when our peace is birthed and matured in a trust of the heart, love and will of our Father, there is no situation that can shake us, and no trial that can steal our hope. 

Last night I received news that brought a true test to my belief in these words. 

My and Joey’s flight for San Salvador was the next day, and we were ready for anything – or so we thought. 

The problem arose with my flight.  As an incredible gift, Mandy, a friend of mine from Texas, had given me the opportunity to fly to Central America on a much cheaper ticket; with the only catch being that this gracious money-saver was a standby flight.  (I am sure you already see where this story is going…)

A week before my flight, I received confirmation that the flight still had available seating; but this good news did not survive to the night before our departure.  As Joey and I were saying goodbye to friends in Orlando, I received a text from Mandy, warning me that my flight was now overbooked and it was very unlikely that I could get on the flight that I and everyone in Beautiful Feet had been counting on for several months now. 

I became very uneasy.

The two of us spent hours searching new flight options and scouring the internet for cheap hostels that Joey might spend a lonely night in.  His limited Spanish vocabulary made me all the more worried about his ability to find his way to an affordable room. It was hard not to feel ashamed and upset for placing my friend in such a position – but beating myself up was not going to find solutions, and the two of us kept our concentration. 

As midnight approached, Joey and I matured in our focus by reminding one another of the unbeatable goodness that God loves to lavish over His children.  (And we are children of The Divine!)

If He is for us, then who cares who or what is against us?

Our anxiety became a joyous celebration and the fears in uncertainty morphed into what can only be described as a God-filled expectation, trusting that our flights and journey were completely in the hands of Love.  By 2:30 we had fallen asleep in a tranquil satisfaction that only God can bring – one that does not rely on perfect circumstances, but trusts in the ONE THAT IS perfect and exists with humanity through every circumstance.     

This morning we arrived in Miami – both unsure of what the day would bring.  I would either make this flight or be forced to dig deep into my pocketbook. 

Joey and I made our way past security and found the flight gate.  My heart raced with each moment as it passed.  The first section boarded, followed quickly by the second, third and finally fourth.

I was fourth on the standby list when I heard three names called to the counter.  The small family excitedly grabbed their tickets and made their way onto the plane – leaving me next on the boarding list. 

I wish a picture had been taken of the smile that must have covered my face when my name was finally called.  As the lady handed me the ticket she asked, “I gave you an exit row seat next to your friend.  Is that okay?”


“Ma’am,” I began.  “That is my favorite seat!”      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment